Brennan L. Livaudais Scholarship
Brennan was born in Houston, Texas and attended Cornerstone Christian Elementary School, Barbara Bush Middle School and graduated from Ronald Reagan High School, class of 2006.
After graduation, he would quickly fulfill his dream of becoming a firefighter, saving lives and helping his community. He was a graduate of the Fire Academy and a certified firefighter by the Texas Commission on Fire Protection. He also had become a state-certified and Nationally Registered Emergency Medical Technician.
August 7th felt like another ordinary day for a healthy and active twenty-two-year-old Brennan, but while helping his father paint a home, he was stung by a bee on his lip and stomach, causing an anaphylactic reaction, which then resulted in Brennan's death.
Brennan's desire to be a firefighter and to save others was fulfilled upon his death by his generous gift of organ donation. Through this gift, he was able to provide many, many other families their miracle. The spirit of giving continues with Brennan's father's vision of creating a fund to help other people complete their training with some financial assistance. With Ken’s vision, the Livaudais family has set out as their objective, via a scholarship program, to help as many individuals as possible who are having a difficult time affording the basic certification classes.
What is Anaphylaxis?
Anaphylaxis is a severe, potentially life-threatening allergic reaction. It can occur within seconds or minutes of exposure to something you're allergic to, such as peanuts or bee stings.
Anaphylaxis causes your immune system to release a flood of chemicals that can cause you to go into shock — your blood pressure drops suddenly and your airways narrow, blocking breathing. Signs and symptoms include a rapid, weak pulse; a skin rash; and nausea and vomiting. Common triggers include certain foods, some medications, insect venom and latex.
Anaphylaxis requires an injection of epinephrine and a follow-up trip to an emergency room. If you don't have epinephrine, you need to go to an emergency room immediately. If anaphylaxis isn't treated right away, it can be fatal.